BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What are our duties as writers? Is it more than just the story?


I think our writing is more of a big picture thing. I don't want to write or read books where, especially the heroines, are abused or made to do things against their will.  It's not good... it's not sexy. Is this just my opinion?
I caught up with local author, Kelly Fitzpatrick, and asked her opinion
Is it our job to give women more than just a light read?
"Awhile back I went to the Rose City Reader’s Luncheon in Portland. It was my first unofficial function as a published writer, although I attended as a reader because, well, because by the time I registered that’s all that was left. I won a basket of historical books, which I don’t really read, but I like winning and there were some other cool trinkets and bobbles. Yay me!
Jane Porter was the featured speaker at the luncheon. I don’t guess I need to explain who she is. I’ve never read her work, but I saw the movie Flirting with Forty, and now I have the book and I will read it. I found her to be a great and inspirational speaker. She talked about some bad reviews she’d received as a new author, which came at an ideal time for me as my fear of reviews had grabbed me in a strangle hold. She gave me permission to not be loved by one and all. Some day I will give myself permission.
Read More

0 comments: